While national Compliance Officer Day is officially not until Sept. 26, as the creator of the holiday, SAI360 has decided to celebrate all month long.
SAI360 created Compliance Officer Day in 2016 to celebrate the indispensable compliance officers who ensure their organizations run judiciously and safely. This observance underscores the pivotal responsibilities undertaken by compliance officers in advancing transparency, upholding security, and sustaining an ethical work culture.
Compliance officers came onto the scene in the 1970s and 1980s in response to self-regulation incentives built into legislation like the Occupational Safety and Health Act. In the 1990s, as corporate scandals garnered international attention, the position became even more important as the public-at-large, as well as the court system, sought accountability. In the decades since, compliance officers have transcended their role of mere penalty avoidance, and now play a vital role, often reporting directly to the CEO.
Evolving into true business partners, compliance officers serve as prominent champions of ethical conduct and integrity. They play a vital role in ensuring businesses adhere to regulations and helping organizations maintain a sustainable environment. Leading from the forefront, they orchestrate training initiatives, shape policies, and establish procedures. Skillfully identifying suitable controls and adeptly navigating regulatory interactions, these leaders and their teams elevate operational efficiency, unlock cost-effectiveness, and contribute substantial value to the organization.
Throughout the month of September, SAI360 is hosting a series of events and online discussions to celebrate the important role compliance officers play 365 days a year. Details can be found at www.complianceofficerday.com. We are also asking the community to join us in recognizing compliance officers on social media by using the hashtag #ComplianceOfficerDay.
SAI360’s Compliance Officer Day Events include:
- 9/14 5 Tips to Keep Your Learners Excited for the Long Haul (Register HERE)
- 9/20 Integrating Your Internal Controls and Compliance Programs (Register HERE)
- 9/21 Back to Basics: 8 Essential Items to Include in your E&C Program (Register HERE)
- 9/26 5 Lessons About Third Party Risk You Can Learn from Reality Survival Shows (Register HERE)
- 9/26 Let’s Start a Conversation (Customer Event)
- 10/2 Hospitality Event for SCCE attendees (Register HERE)
- 10/2 – 10/5 Visit us at the 22nd Annual Compliance & Ethics Institute
- 10/5 – Building and Evaluating Effective Hotline Programs (Register HERE)